Wednesday, October 10, 2018

FO: Gina's Brioche Cowl

(I took this cowl to the White Mountains in New Hampshire this week -- unfortunately I didn't get much use out of it because it was so hot, but it was great hiking weather!)

Yarn: Classic Elite Yarns Wynter (1 skein) and Malabrigo Yarn Mecha (1 skein)
Needle: US size 10.5 circular



I've always liked the look of the brioche stitch, but I hadn't tried two-color brioche. I had a really nice skein of Malabrigo Mecha that I wasn't sure what to do with. I tend to buy one nice skein of yarn when traveling, but then struggle to find an appropriate project. This project is perfect for using up those purchases. Since my yarns were much bulkier than those called for in the pattern, I only cast on 132 and used a size 10.5 needle.


It was a super quick knit in this bigger gauge. It was also a really fun to watch the stitches develop and created a great reversible fabric. Unfortunately, Wynter sheds quite a bit so I don't know if I'll use the other two skeins I have (After knitting I was always covered with wispy blue fibers). I'm planning on casting on another ASAP with a more contrasting pair of colors! I'll also add a bit more length next time. 

Wednesday, October 3, 2018

FO: Mount Pleasant Tee






Needle: US Size 5 



I only got two truly "summer knits" completed this year (including my Silver Spring Tank), but it was definitely a good summer in terms of knitting things I will actually wear. The Mount Pleasant tee by Pip & Pin was a fun knit that translates really well into a wearable top. After I finished my Walpole Sweater I told myself I'd never knit a garment in fingering weight again (hours of endless stockinette with slow progress took a lot of the fun out of knitting for me), but this was a surprisingly quick knit.


I love the lace detail of this little top. I knit the size small but used some the medium directions in terms of length so it was not quite as cropped. If i were to knit it again I think i would add about 1/2" more of length.


Collars that are picked up around the edges of sweaters/garments are a huge challenge for me (see: this rather "rustic" looking collar I created here). I also have some trouble weaving in ends neatly so that they don't poke through the fabric like is happening on the shoulders. If you have any tips/videos for upping my finishing game leave me a link in the comments :)